As a Virtual CAS Conference Ambassador, you will be required to make presentations to inform and recruit fellow students at your school for the forthcoming Virtual CAS Conference series. Student Ambassadors who succeed in enrolling 5 or more students in a VCC event will be granted a free place to participate and even present at one of the Virtual CAS Conferences.
You will receive:
- Pre-made presentation materials and resources
- Detailed Information on the forthcoming events
Skills and experience required:
- Minimum age of 14 years old at the time of application
- Fluent English language skills. Additional language skills, especially Spanish, would be an advantage
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills
- Proactive, self-motivated and independent work ethic
- Outgoing, enthusiastic personality and a positive attitude
- Prior knowledge of the International Baccalaureate program is a major advantage
Interested student applicants should send a cover letter to [email protected]
March 20-21st 2021, 09:00-13:00 (Pacific Standard Time GMT-7)
Workshop Facilitator Job Description
The Virtual CAS Conference will explore the major global issue of Equality – Driving Gender, Racial and Social Justice through keynote speeches, probing discussion, workshops and collaborative problem-solving activities for up to 400 students, using the platform of Zoom.
In addition to providing a platform to compare ideas, the conference will challenge students to work together in a Hackathon format to develop a long term solution-focused Service project in response to a charity’s urgent, authentic need.
The role of Workshop Facilitator is crucial to the success of the Virtual CAS Conference.
After each keynote speech on Day 1, student participants will be automatically assigned to groups of approximately 20 students, each assigned a Workshop Facilitator who will lead discussions.
The purposes of the Workshop sessions are to discuss the guest speaker’s presentation by using the best pedagogical practices of inquiry, to expand the students’ knowledge of the challenges of achieving Social Equality, and to identify practical ways that we, as global citizens, can take action to reduce the damaging effects of both.
On Day 2, students will be automatically assigned to groups of 3-6 students to partake in the Charity Hackathon. Workshop Facilitators will be assigned to 2-3 groups and expected to check in at regular intervals to ensure students are making progress and help guide them through any issues that may arise as they develop their ideas and proposal.
Workshop Facilitator Duties;
- Prior to the VCC, read the Workshop Session Planner prepared by CAS Trips
- Attend a short 60 minute pre-conference training session and Q&A on Zoom (date/time TBC)
- Be online and in attendance for the VCC from 09:00-13:00 PST on Saturday 20th and Sunday 21st March 2021.
- Lead/monitor 2 x 45-60-minute workshops on Saturday 20th March 2021.
- Guide/monitor 2-3 groups of students as they work through the Charity Hackathon
- Maintain proper teacher/student relationship with participating students during the conference
Any IB teacher, particularly one that has taught Theory of Knowledge, served as CAS coordinator, or who regularly uses the inquiry method can serve as a Workshop Facilitator. Priority will be given to teachers who promote and enroll students to the Virtual CAS Conference and those who have been Workshop Leaders at IB World Student Conferences or CAS Trips Global Student Conferences in the past.
To apply, write brief responses to the following questions and email them to Simon Armstrong at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Why do you want to be a Workshop Facilitator at the Virtual CAS Conference?
- What part of your teaching experience will make you a good Workshop Facilitator?
Finally, CAS Trips requires a criminal background check (within last 3 years) or a letter from the applicant’s Head of School verifying that a criminal background check was completed prior to employment, and the applicant is still an employee in good standing at the school.
Remuneration is offered at USD$ 100 per day.